Background

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Thank you, Mr. IRS!!

so...I've been itching to make my first significant payment towards slaughtering my credit card debt since I received my tax return check a few weeks ago.  I was very pleasantly surprised by the number on that check.  I was expecting $200ish dollars. I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty sad by that number because I usually get a somewhat larger check than that. But I thought "it is what it is".  Then I get my return and it's a whoppin' $1165.00!!! Talk about being giddy! I broke into giddy laughter every few minutes after opening that check. But my mom, being the wise woman she is, warned me not to get too excited, in case it was a mistake. (We all know Mr. IRS would never allow me to get away with a mistake that's in MY favor!!). So I made a call to Mr. IRS to make sure everything matched up and was correct. Ms. nice IRS lady went into great detail with me for each item on the return and explained that we'd made a mistake in my taxable income (i think?) and I was also eligible for a new tax credit that came available this year and since it was the first year, they went ahead and calculated it in for me (Thank you kindly, Mr. IRS for the extra $$$$$!!!!!!!!). What a blessing!!!  I start this blog and get serious about getting rid of my debt, and God blesses me immediately with a great amount of money to get this process started, not to mention what a motivation starter that check was!  I added $435.00 to that $1165.00 check and yesterday I made a payment of $ 1600.00 on my credit card!!!! I hope to have that sucker paid off by the end of June! A somewhat steep goal as I've been running figures in my head, but I think I can do it. I just have to minimalize my life for the next few weeks...scratch that, minimalize my life for the next 12 months!!!! But what a GLORIOUS day it will be, when I'm finally out of slavery!!!

Thank you Jesus for your wonderful surprise! =)

~the current numbers...
Student Loans ---  $ 11,077.84  (still the same)
Amex --- $ 1,476.14   (oh yeah!!)

No comments: