Background

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

There is Joy in the Waiting

I am such a horrible procrastinator!! 3-4 weeks ago I could have blogged away about how I am finally credit card DEBT FREE!! woohoo!! I am officially free from that weight in my life, and I loveee it! Although, I will still be using the credit card for my benefit. I will continue to use it for purchases here at work so I can rack up all the frequent flyer miles I can get! The tables have turned and now I will be using the credit card company in order to benefit myself! [satisfaction.]

Not sure why it took so long for me to put this down in writing. I can't help but think it's a fear of some kind. I felt it rising up as soon as I sent that last credit card payment. I've conquered a tiny ant hill and now I look up and see this mountain in front of me. $ 10,753.65. Most days that number seems just impossible to pay off. especially when unexpected bills always seem to pop up. and when living frugally gets called being stingy. But either I am tight with money or I'll let loose and not see any progress in my efforts. I have to be stingy.

Unrelated, I would like to just express how awesome I think the blogging world is. Not just because I am a part of it (I don't think anyone outside my 3 followers reads this, maybe not even the 3 followers!?), but I love the encouragement/motivation/inspiration that can come from it. I've found a new hobby of "creepin" (I think that's the new slang) on Peace Corp Nicaragua bloggers. During this time of waiting that God has me in, I am half living through these bloggers and their daily life in Nicaragua. I can laugh at so many of their references because I've experienced the awkwardness of learning a new culture and all the quirky body language and signals that a culture shares. I've been known to catch up on 2-3 yr old blogs in a day. I have no shame. I'm pretty much best friends with half of these people, they just don't know it. One, in particular, that I started reading yesterday. she seems to be a Christian. she talks like a real Christian. oh, how I love when I find one of those. and she is an awesome writer, very deep. God definitely used her yesterday to give me the inspiration and encouragement that I needed for this season of waiting I am in right now. I've slowly learning it's not so much the actual waiting that becomes the lesson, but how I wait. I can wait and all the while be this dried up, callous, unpleasant person...or...I can learn the beauty in waiting. I can become a woman of peace who carries in herself this lighter spirit, because she knows Him whom she is waiting on, and that His timing is perfect. and that wanting anything less would be ruining this wonderful journey He has for me. So, although I daily want to beat my head against the wall (let's face it, waiting is not fun), I refuse to let my joy be stifled just because I'm a bit impatient (I really wanna see this beautiful image that I have in my mind come to life). But, I am learning there is joy in the waiting.

~the current numbers...
Amex  ---  $ 0.00  !!!!!!!!
Student Loans  ---  $ 10,753.65  (I do have $600 set aside to
                                                 hopefully pile up on the
                                                 principal when my next
                                                 payment is due!!)

2 comments:

Days Like This crafter said...

Congratulations on being credit card debt free! You accomplished that in amazing time. Yes, 10K sounds like a huge number, but just think - 2 months ago, you owed a little over $3000 on your credit card. That is nearly a third of how much you have left to go.

Your comments about waiting were beautifully written, and it was obvious they were straight from the heart. You were totally right though - learning the beauty in waiting would make your journey so much easier. I failed to look for that beauty in my wait for God's timing on when I could finally get married. Though I was happy to know who I wanted to marry and knew he wanted to marry me too, I was a miserable person for probably 3 of the 5 years we dated, simply because I couldn't have what I wanted when I wanted it. Looking back now, we both realize that the timing couldn't have been more perfect (of course it was perfect - God never messes up!). Though we both hated the wait for everything to work out, we know it was for the best. I am happy to see that you are searching for the joy in waiting because God will honor you for your humbleness and faithfulness. As someone who didn't look for that joy, I can tell you it is a much better way than being miserable!

Brooke said...

Hey Misty!! Thanks for the comments on my posts. For some reason, I never knew you had commented!!! But, what perfect timing, even in me reading this! Trust me, I don't have the "joy in waiting" down yet. It's just something I know should be a practice of mine, but it's SOO much harder in practice than it is in theory. And, this comment was perfect not only in regards to my loans, but also with relationships. So, thanks for your comment! Your comments to my blogs are always God-timed...now and about 3 years ago when I was contemplating whether to go to Nicaragua for the first time or not! I value the wisdom in your comments and most of all I value your friendship!! love you!!! =)